Monday, July 16, 2012

Monthly Writing Journals...Here!

I have decided to re-post my "Monthly Writing Journals" and YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THEM FROM THIS POST!  YEAH!!!

I also have changed them up a bit...which I think is for the better. 
1) I put a boy and a girl on the cover of each month, so you don't have download two different covers. YIPPEE!
2) I have two options for the letter formation.  One with just the upper and lower~case letter and one with arrows to show how to form the letters on the line. You can choose which one you like. 

I use these journals in my classroom because I believe this is a great way for parents to see their child's writing ability as they grow as writers throughout the year.  BTW...I used DJ Inkers clip art  {Click here to go to their website}!  

I use 3 different writing pages.  One is blank with no lines.  I will start with this page in September, so the students can draw a picture and label. Next, the students will write on a single line.  Finally, by the end of the year, he/she will write on 3 lined paper.
  
NOTE...If a student has more to write he/she will go to the next page and write, but they do not have to draw another picture. 

Cover ~ September
Cover ~ October
Cover ~ November
Cover ~ December
Cover ~ January
Cover ~ February
Cover ~ March
Cover ~ April
Cover ~ May
Cover ~ June

First Page Positive Message
Writers Did You & Letter Page
Writers Did You & Letter Page with Formation
Writing Page Template 1
Writing Page Template 2
Writing Page Template 3

I also use Lucy Calkins' Writer's Workshop in our classroom.  My students are given opportunities to write in a variety of genres to help foster a love of writing.   It also allows me to meet the needs of my students by differentiating their instruction and gearing instruction based on information gathered throughout the workshop.

SOMETIMES my kiddos have a hard time thinking of something to write.  I will change it up a bit and give them an option of what to write about.  
Monday ~ Write about the weekend ~ Who they played with ~ What they ate for dinner
Tuesday ~ Sentence Starter ~  If I was a raindrop I would..  ~ I like to eat..
Wednesday ~ Writing Prompt ~ Do you like birthday cake?  Why?  Describe your bedroom. 
Thursday ~ Shadow Writing
Friday ~ Free Write  

Happy Writing!

22 comments:

  1. thanks for providing it all in one place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful. Thank you for being so generous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing! Your ideas are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these! I linked your Shutterfly to one of my posts/pages and I am so glad that it is on here. I will change it. Thank you for putting the boy and girl on the cover-that will be so easy. I just love these-thank you for making them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thank you!!! This will be great for writing this year. Can't wait to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking the time to create this! It will be a great format to use for writing journals! I am looking forward to using it to enhance my writing instruction and your suggestions for writing ideas throughout the week. One question...what is shadow writing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for making this available. I have been meaning to incorporate journals but have been struggling with letting go. I shall be successful this time!
    Thanks,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Xoria - I love that name, by the way! Shadow writing is when your students copy a sentence that is written for them or with them. The students just "shadow" (copy) what is modeled for them. It is great practice in reading, handwriting, punctuation, and spacing.
    Thanks,
    LuAnn and Amber

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this in a powerpoint passed on from a coworker, and I have been looking on pinterest forever for your blog! I am so excited to use these wonderful ideas! Thank you for taking the time to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANK YOU so much for sharing this! I have a question about how these are put together. How many pages are in the journals and are the writing pages and "writers did you/letter" page copied back to back?

    Thanks again!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda,
    How many pages...
    It all depends on the month. I count how many days we will be in school that month and add about 5 extra pages.

    When I copy the booklet...
    I do copy back to back! I have the quote page in front and a blank page on the back when I copy back to back. I make sure to copy it so that when the student goes to a page to write on that the "writers did you/letter" page is facing the correct way.

    I hope this helps! If not....let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for sharing this! I am excited to use it this school year! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!

    Thank you so much for these! I did find that the last two templates though are almost exactly the same and there is not the one for the 'final stage' of writine- 3 lines. Where can I get your template for that? On your TPT?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a teacher new to Kindergarten after teaching 5th grade for 17 years, I am finding this website VERY helpful. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! I've searched high and low for writing paper for my class and you had just what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing this! I have been looking for a writing journal other than the typical notebooks/composition books. I am so excited to use these with my kinders!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing these papers. I've been looking for journaling paper for my Kinders that was skill-appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a huge treasure!! God bless people like you who share their great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your journals and have been using them for years. For some reason I can't download them anymore from this page. Has anyone else had this issue?

    ReplyDelete

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace